Monday, March 19, 2007

Spring Break Fever!

This past week I traveled with two of my girlfriends to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I had the most amazing week I could have hoped for. The temperature was warm, the sun was out…and so were the boys!

Arriving in Punta Cana, I assumed it would be like every other tropical vacation I had been on. To my surprise, it was not. I guess after traveling throughout Europe this past semester and venturing to different countries just for the weekend, I have become more aware of the vast cultural differences in the world. This time, I was able to appreciate such things as the fine cuisine, language barrier, and general differences in behavior, something I never did before.

I noticed that other students my age were not as willing to adjust to these differences. Rather, they made it known that they were the typical “American Spring Breaker”. It kind of annoyed me that we, as Americans were in someone else’s country and yet treat them (the Dominicans) like they were the foreigners.

I understood that it was the type of vacation where people just wanted to kick back, drink some margaritas and relax. That was totally understandable. But the question that still lingered in my mind was, why act up to the stereotype the rest of the world already has about Americans? A very controversial question I know. I just feel that the more and more Americans ignore the other cultures in the world, the harder and harder it will be to change some of the many flaws we as a country already possess.

On a different note, I encourage anyone who has time to visit Punta Cana. It is a beautiful and exotic place that comes to life once you arrive. I cannot wait to return sometime soon!

2 comments:

media junky said...

I know exactly what you mean. Although my travels outside of the US have not been extensive, I have visited Costa Rica.

I will never forget the beauty of the land, and the vast differences I discovered in the lifestyle.

It was an experience I will never forget, and always cherish.

CocoChannel said...

I agree completly with you. I have not got to travel nearly as much as I want to yet. However on my last vacation (in Aruba) my expirience was similar to yours. Americans are generally so rude and snotty towards the natives. We forget we are visting, we act up and then wonder why the world hates us!!